It is possible to book a damage claim if there is no insurance booked - however, the process is considerably more lengthy. Importantly, when there is no insurance booked there will be possibility of refund for the user.
The first step in making a damage claim (Without Insurance) is that the supplier submits a damage claim on the platform. This can be done by either emailing clicking 'report damages' or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
What information is needed?
The following information must be provided when submitting a new damage claim:
- Container number
- Comp code,
- Loc code
- Damage code
- Repair code
- Further container details --> Length, Width, Quantity
- Labour Hours and Labour Cost
- Costings --> Material Cost, Total Cost and Currency
When can a damage claim be submitted?
As per BIMCO Multiparty Interchange Agreement, the supplier has to share any damage claims within 5 (05) working days (Mo-Fr) after equipment has been reported as returned in xChange. Within these 5 days the supplier can either submit via the report button on the damage request page or via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com. If estimates are not sent to xChange within the timeframe stipulated above, the claim will be considered extemporaneous and therefore null and void.
What happens if the damage claim cannot be submitted within the above time-frame?
In case the above-mentioned time-frame cannot be met due to reasons beyond the control of the SUPPLIER, xChange can help you if you give notice. The important thing is that you notify of the existence of damages (which precise container number(s) and then complete the claim asap at a later date if necessary.
Does any additional information need to be provided?
When submitting a damage claim, it is not only important to meet the 5 working day time-frame but to also provide the request number, container number(s), EOR(s) (Estimate of Repairs) and pictures of the damages (the photos should clearly depict the damages and the container number).
Can the claim and estimates be in any language?
No, the damage claim and repair estimates must be in English format.
What happens after the Damage Claim has been received?
Once the damage claim has been received, xChange checks the claim for completeness and applicability (e.g. no insurance booked) and forwards the claim to the USER
After the USER receives the damage claim from xChange, it shall within five (05) working days (Mo-Fr) either confirm acceptance of the estimated repair damages or dispute the claimed damages as per BIMCO Multiparty Interchange Agreement.
If the USER agrees with the repair damages or does not respond to xChange within the number of working days stated above, the USER shall pay for said repairs specified in the estimate. If applicable, any previously agreed DPP shall be subtracted from the estimated repair amount. Any charges/credits will be automatically settled through the xChange wallet.
In case the USER disagrees with the estimate of repair costs or disagrees that any item should be for the USER’s account, the USER shall detail its objections on a line item level within the period stated above and share it with xChange (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Details of the steps in cases of damage claim disagreements are as below:
- The damage claim and all supporting documents will be reviewed by xChange (and sent by the user).
- An assessment of the case will be issued, and a resolution proposal put forward to all parties involved.
- Within five (05) working days (Mo-Fr) of receiving the above mentioned resolution proposal, USER and SUPPLIER shall revert to xChange (email@example.com) with either confirmation or rejection of the proposal.
- Failure to respond within the above-mentioned time-frame will result in automatic acceptance of the proposal. In case said time-frame cannot be met by either one of the parties for reasons beyond its control, xChange requires a proper and timely notice.
- In case both parties agree with xChange’s resolution proposal, the conclusion will be binding and final and any charges/credits will be automatically settled through the xChange wallet.
- In case one or both parties disagree with xChange’s resolution proposal, a joint survey will be organised by xChange within ten (10) working days (Mo-Fr). An appointed external joint surveyor will inspect the equipment, review the damage claim including all supporting documents and issue a final opinion. In this case the supplier is to make the equipment available for survey at his own cost. In case the supplier does not make the equipment available for survey or releases the equipment before the survey has taken place, the supplier automatically forfeits the right to claim damages and will bear all repair related cost.
- The SUPPLIER and USER agree to be bound by the opinion of the joint surveyor and to equally share the cost of the survey. Any charges/credits will be automatically settled through the xChange wallet.